View Single Post
Old 12th July 2008, 07:15 AM   #9
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Russian Imperial shamshir-like sabers were locally called " klych". Incidentally, this is exactly what the Beduins call their "pseudo-shashkas". Unquestionably, both names are derived from Turkish Kilic ( or Kilij). The Russians had very limited military contact with the Persian Empire ( besides drubbing them in passing and imposing their will on the Persian treatment of the Christian Armenians). They, however, had multiple wars with the Turks and expropriated their swords. including Adjemi Kilic ( Persian -style sword, ie Shamshir).
I am looking for a brass crossguard with straight langets for this puppy; if anybody has one, please contact me.
A friend of mine recently had a shamshir with Turkish hilt (no yelman, sham blade, I would rather call a sword by the blade than the hilt), missing the crossguard. He had one specially cast, and it took a skilled craftsmen to fit it. Still, getting an original grossguard would be a better option, but those are rare, and who knows if it will fit the hilt and the scabbard.
As for the Russians, I am looking at Durov's book on award weapons and it seems that many of the irregular troops were awarded with nice shamshirs, along with certain allies in Central Asia. In this case however, I think this is a trade blade that ended up in the Ottoman Empire, rather than a trophy or an award. Bulgarian folk songs from the 18th and 19th centuries often mention a sword in the form of "sabre frengia", which leads me to believe that blades of Western origin were quite valued in the Balkans and that such a "fringia" was perhaps the ultimate, most valuable sword one could own.
Very nice sword!
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote