Thread: Puukko Question
View Single Post
Old 13th July 2018, 02:06 PM   #28
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yes, certainly there are similar elements present in the carving shown in the lower image. What this may mean I hesitate to guess at.
Up to this point all we have been doing is guessing but sometimes that can lead us down a road of possibility and given that we will probably never know the carvers intention we are left to interpret what we see. My guess is that this was an export or political gift to the Far East. You see this in a lot of cultures. English plates with Asian theme made for that market for example. The Demonic figures in Burmese handles vary a good bit but you see some common themes. The tongue sticking out is a threat posture in the Far East. The ankle and wrist bracelets are very Burmese. The demons often match the attire of the people. The scrolling cloud like motif is very similar in the two examples. This is a very Far Eastern decoration.

I am not familiar with Scandinavian knives beyond being able to recognize one when I see it but I wonder if the dragon themed scabbard is common. If not, the scabbard decor in addition to the handle decoration both might suggest an export product to the Far East or some type of political or cultural exchange. Until examples of Scandinavian art appear with as many or more common features as this example I will lean towards a Scandinavian knife made in the Far Eastern style for export, political gift or even possibly a one off for a customer that had spent time in the Far East.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote