View Single Post
Old 29th May 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In looking at these and reviewing notes I wanted to add some thoughts.
Over time we have discussed the application of European 'type' markings in these regions of Sudan on European trade blades or those entering the trade sphere . While it seems agreed that many interpretations of long established European markings and stamps are copied by native enterprenuers, it is interesting to note the apparantly and relatively consistant use of the running wolf and cross and orb combinations (as seen in the example linked by Iain).

These centrally fullered blades do seem to have existed as exports from Solingen from as early as about 1800, and the application of certain markings in the fuller configuration in a kind of 'brand' presentation seems likely.
It seems quite possible that these markings of the wolf and cross/orb much favored by the Sudanese markets might have been applied by artisans in Solingen context preparing these blades for that export. By the same token, experienced craftsmen in established entrepots receiving blades may well have applied these before distribution to various markets.

I notice that the styling of the running wolf is actually more 'artistically' fashioned than the rather choppy chiseled lines of most of the early wolf marks on European examples. The comparison of the two examples seen here suggests that they might have come from the same 'shop' if not even the same artist working freehand rather than stamping. It would be hard I would think to stamp across a fuller ridge.
Also consider that the 'wolf' and 'cross and orb' were virtually out of use in Europe overall by mid 17th century, but Solingen was still producing traditional blades and weapons for certain markets despite being in degree 'out of vogue'.

While certainly still a conundrum, I would simply venture these considerations as possibilities.

The third example with the heavy ricasso block would certainly be in my thoughts, an earlier European blade, and the 'twig' marks probably are authentic. Again, these are in my opinion more compliance or production markings having more to do in inventory or accountability sense than particular maker or talismanic imbuement. I think many of these kinds of blades were among surplus items probably either among other trade blades or simply shipments of other commodities to supply trade routes.

I agree with Colin, the blade on #2 does look like it may be fashioned from a tool or utility item as many knives are made of old files etc. The hole at that position on the blade is as I understand often copper filled, with this an old tradition applied toward old superstitious beliefs. Many early Islamic swords had gold filled holes in thier blades with various significance, as did Asian and even many European blades. Old traditions stand timelessly in these desert contexts.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote