Thread: Riyadh Museum's
View Single Post
Old 20th January 2007, 12:08 AM   #18
S.Al-Anizi

Another royal sword. Unfortunately, I did not capture the panel that read who it belonged to, and I cant remember that offhand. This is one of the most beautiful swords Ive seen on my trip. The combination of gold and silver, wootz blade (I can only assume), the camel hide in the center of the scabbard, and the ivory hilt are all amazing worksmanship.

A very old banner

King AbdulAziz's personal sword, Raqban. A wootz blade, and stunning goldwork, the best ive seen. Unlike many swords of royals around the world during his period, this sword has seen real use. Ibn Saud used it when he personally beheaded 15 of the Shammar after the battle of Bikairiya, at Kinzan, when he was mortally wounded and his brother was killed, and probably in other battles.

Another view

Closeup of the hilt

I also asked the curators about the other swords, listed by De Gaury, none of them the curators knew about, only al-ajrab, which they say probably belonged to Imam Turki al-Faisal, according to literature. Ibn Saud acquired it after an extensive search in Riyadh.

S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote