View Single Post
Old 7th June 2010, 11:52 AM   #28
RDGAC

After a lengthy hiatus - caused mostly by a shortage of computers, and by the installation and promotion of our new exhibition covering Op. HERRICK and suchlike - I return, bearing another weapon for your comments. This particular specimen comes from Oman, and is presumably therefore Omani in nature; I would hesitantly suppose it to be a kattara, but that is a very hesitant identification indeed.

Overall length: 39.5in (100cm)
Blade length: 32in (81.3cm)
Scabbard length: 32.85in (81cm)
Breadth of blade (at widest point): 1.5in)

The blade has severe pitting throughout its length and is very thin, so much so that it visible bends if the sword is held at the grip only. From the lines visible along its length, the lack of active rust spots and the thinness of the blade, I would conjecture that this particular weapon was, much to my dismay, ground at some point, probably prior to its presentation to Field Marshal Bagnall in order to present a better appearance. The blade also has a few cracks on its edges, the most severe of which is shown in picture 11. Overall, despite good preservation in the museum, it is in bad shape, and the damage appears irreversible.
Attached Images

RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote