View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nicely done David! Thank you for the note on Mole and galvanizing, and it would be interesting to learn more on the use of this process in England in these times.

I have been rather determined to discover more on these kaskaras, and how they might have been captured at Tel el Kebir in 1882, as this conflict was between nationalist Egyptian forces rebelling against the Khedive, and the British forces protecting thier interests in Egypt and the Suez Canal.

The key problem, as previously noted, being that the Egyptian Army was essentially a modernized army, now equipped with Remington carbines and revolvers, and wearing military uniforms. That having been said, I think it is important to note that the rebel forces were not technically the forces of the Khedive, in the militarily outfitted sense, though it would be likely that a large part of them had this equipment.

It is known that the Khedives forces, by 1876, had been receiving these modern firearms ("Khedive Ismail's Army" , John P.Dunn, 2005, p.38). It is also worthy of note that these forces also included the regiments known as the Khedives 'Iron Men'. Certainly the Turko-Circassian aristocracy as well as the well established Mamluk traditions had firmly emplaced the use of medieval style armour, and these elite regiments were carrying forth those traditions.

The reason I bring this up is that in these times, apparantly the British industrial engine in Birmingham was supplying helmets of traditional style to these Khedival troops, as well as producing chain mail for them. While it is unclear about swords and blades that might have been produced along with these, it does seem quite possible that medieval type broadsword blades, well known in the kaskaras, could well have been produced in some number
as well.
The comments and observations on galvanizing were what triggered this thought, as well as the fact that these blades seem somewhat more 'industrial' and without the typical characteristics of many of these swords of the Mahdist trophy groups.

In trying to establish who then, in the Egyptian forces, might have been using kaskaras, we must consider that within the Khedives forces were also irregular troops of Bedouin in sizeable contingents, along with small squadrons of Shayqiyya. These units who functioned much as the Bedouin, in duties such as raiders, scouts, border guards etc. and thier home areas were actually in generally the same regions as that which encompassed the campaign at Tel el Kebir in 1882. Incorporated in these groups were elements of the Beni Amer tribe, actually a component of the large Beja group more familiar in Sudanese areas, but certainly present in these parts of Egypt and Northern Sudan.

Here is what is important, I have seen illustrations of the Beni Amer, mounted, wearing chain mail, and kaskaras! It would seem entirely possible, if not likely, that many of these tribesmen would have joined Ahmed Urabi in revolt, along with the profound ties to the Shayqiyya Brotherhood, and Bedouin.

Here may be where these clearly Sudanese broadswords may have found thier way into the hands of the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards, just as has been included in RDG's description. It is also worthy of note that , "...the British admiration for an enemy intensified thier desire to collect war trophies".
(Maj. Gen. Sir Alexander Bruce Tulloch).

Also, noted by war correspondent G.W. Stevens after Omdurman in 1898, the respect the British had for these adversaries remained as he noted, "..our men were perfect, but the Dervishes were superb beyond perfection".

The instructions not to wantonly destroy the combatants at Tel el Kebir was certainly to try to defray as much damage as possible in this unfortunate situation, and certainly reflected much of this same perspective. It seems likely of course that many of these forces may have become part of the Khedives forces in the later campaigns.

While often times museum attributions and provenances can certainly become clouded over many years, but in this I very much commend RDG for his efforts to find support for that with these kaskaras. It is an example that should be followed by the staff and constituents of all museums, and I hope the discussion here will prove helpful in the further display of these historic swords.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote