View Single Post
Old 8th November 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
B.I

Default One of the Best Books of Recent Times!!

i know that ariel posted on this book a while ago. i have had it for some time, but felt compelled to try and get others that would normally ignore it to buy and read it.
the book i am refering to is donald larocca's himalayan exhibition. the more i read it, the better it gets. this book is completely out of my sphere of interest, but it is so bloody well written that i know anyone would find it appealing. i love the way the book has been laid out, and the way he is humble in his own knowledge. i fully respect both the text and the cataloguing.
i dont care if he doesnt commit himself with dating. by stating something is 15th-18thC just shows us that this book is appealling for more work to be done on the subject. it doesnt attempt to be definative, but more one man's passion for the subject that he hopes others will continue.
the price is meaningless, and a bargain for the content and study that has gone into it.
it really is both a serious study and pure eye-candy. i have been lucky to have seen some fantastic tibetan arms, as many of the objects from this exhibition came via london. however, larocca's taste in aquisition is outstanding and we know that his instigated both the exhibition and the aquisitions to cater for a passion that he felt ought to be shared.
i may alternate this book between both academic and 'picture book' as it fills both cravings. i will also buy a second copy, as i know my current copy will suffer quite a few re-reads and deteriation through use. i cant say that too often these days!
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote