Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:35 PM   #37
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you guys, interesting views. I think what I am recalling toward the 'connection' or possible connection between Bukharen affectations on swords (in this case the spiral bands on scabbards) is the several examples of Bukharen swords in posts with this feature and described as Bukharen.

Also the similarities in the hilt elements (pommel, cylindrical etc.) were noted as with such possible connections between Yemen and Bukhara. It does not seem infeasible that religious connections between these clearly distant regions existed, and that such contacts would result in certain material culture designs or affectations. Obviously drawing such parallels would be a tenuous proposition, but to deem such connections impossible or non existent arbitrarily would be unfortunate. Theories, ideas and suggestions are pretty much just that, and not intended as conclusions.

In the photo I previously posted with the Yemeni swords with the spiral scabbards, the first image with three swords are of Buharen examples, as identified by the post I took it from (on these pages but trying to relocate).
It seems that the Persian factor in designs etc. is notably present in Bukhara and India's northern regions and Afghanistan.
In Arabian context, the same favor toward Persian design etc. is also well known.

Is it possible that such an affectation is via the Persian conduit rather than direct Bukharen /Yemen connection?
Whatever the case, it does seem, at least in what I have seen, that this particular banding on scabbards is seen (as agreed) on Yemen swords, but appears known as well on SOME Bukharen (or Uzbek) examples.

These three swords are NOT Yemeni, but Uzbek (Bukharen) and the center one is the one I refer to with the same spiral as on my Hadhramaut sa'if.
Also note the ovoid fluted shape of the scabbard tips similar to the pommel on the cylindrical hilts of some Yemeni swords.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote