View Single Post
Old 27th January 2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Ashkenaz:

One can find the ginunting style blade throughout the Philippines (and indeed Indonesia and parts of mainland SE Asia). I think you are starting in the wrong place if you believe that the Ilonggo version is the original sword/knife of this shape, and this shape diffused out from Panay. The reverse is likely to be true.

Many groups over a wide area of SE Asia favor a forward-weighted sword (i.e., with the balance and percussion points towards the tip)--certainly further forward than many European swords--and extra weight towards the end of the blade is a common feature. In the case of the ginunting, it has a wide blade extending almost to the tip, a fairly straight cutting edge and a spine that curves towards the point. The Moro groups would call this a bangkung; the Tagalog and Ilokano would call it a ginunting; and you know what it is called in the Visayas. If you look in Albert Van Zonneveld's book on Weapons of the Indonesian Archipelago..., you will find other examples distributed more widely.

In response to your question about the binangon transitioning to a ginunting elsewhere, I don't believe you will find evidence to support that idea. Rather, I think these are parallel developments based on swords and knives from elsewhere, probably a long time ago.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote