View Single Post
Old 12th July 2018, 09:38 AM   #5
midelburgo

Well the thing arrived.

The hilt is made of four iron pieces made by sand casting and riveted together. This explains why they do not need to be bent too much. Several casting lines are visible, especially in the pommel. To complete a logical defense I was missing a branch that seems it was never there. Even with an inner loop, the thing is flat enough to hang on the wall.

No idea when this could have been done. The second half of XIXth century I suppose. The technology was there earlier than that, but the reasons to copy old swords not.

The brass-gilt color is provided by... paint!

The grip could be XVIIIth century but also made at the same time as the hilt. Rings have been brass-soldered. Under them, there are still very thin copper threads.

The blade has remnants of foliar decoration and an inscription in the central fuller. Shape and decoration are very similar to examples I have seen of PDL Luneschloss (or the Knecht family) from Solingen blades exported to the Republic of Mexico in the 1820s.
This is confirmed when I decipher "vaines sin -ono", part of the motto "no me saques sin razon, no me envaines sin honor". Blade is very sharp and the edge includes the ricasso close to the grip, making not recommendable to cross a finger. Too dangerous for a theatrical weapon.

So this was sort of a bad buy. Problem is that some of the best sword business I have made came also from similarly unwise decisions...

Last edited by midelburgo; 12th July 2018 at 09:51 AM.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote