View Single Post
Old 19th September 2013, 08:40 PM   #23
Billman

Hi Jimmy

At first glance of the blade shape, I would say Italian, maybe Austrian - chip carving is common on items from the European Alps, and a mushroom type handle although rare in Italy, is not unknown. Having said that it could be Asian - without provenance it is very difficult to accurately place a tool that is found worldwide, is often rehandled, and that was often exported or taken overseas by colonists.

The handle decoration is not something I have seen before, but is typical of the sort of work done in rural communities, either to pass the time, or to personalize an object. I guess this is (or was) a common practice worldwide - before TV, radio and mobile phone there was not a lot to do in the long winter evenings...

In the second image, there appears to be some marks on the blade.... These may help in identifying its origin, as would close examination of the blade to look for forging marks, weld lines etc.

Identification of the wood of the handle may also be an aid to origins - beech and light woods are more common in Europe, teak and darker woods in Asia (but there is no hard and fast rule, as handles are often made of any wood that is handy - the Japanese use white oak)
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote