View Single Post
Old 5th December 2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Adni Aljunied

Since my chilhood days, I've watched many of the late P.Ramlee's Malay movies with admiration and he is considered by many here as a true legend as an actor, director, singer, composer etc.
After growing up with more indepth knowledge of the kerises and more observant about them, I have noticed many of P.Ramlee's movies using the keris with some "sad" circumstances. Nothing at all bad about his movies, which are all evergreen and very well done, whether it's a traditional comedy or historically or folklore inclined. It's just that I feel a little "tingy" when I see a Malay warrior or even a king with his traditional Malay attire of the "tanjak" and "samping", but having a Javanese Ladrangan keris stuck to his waist. It can also go the other way too when the story is about a Javanese.

Times have changed, but sadly the movie makers are still making the same mistakes. One very recent moive called "Putri Gunung Ledang" which was quite hyped up while in the making cause it was the most expensive movie ever made in Malaysia to the tune of RM20 million! The cast was "extravagant" and the director has had experiences in Holywood, and I was made to "dream" of the movie to be one that will put right many previous lackluster productions. BUT, so sadly, it was'nt much of an inspiring movie at all. The title is Princess Mount Ophir, a princess who played a big role in the entire story of the more famous Malay warriors, Hang Tuah, Hang Jebat etc.with a very "bad" king at the time of the Malacca Sultanate. Hang Tuah's keris, and arguably the most famous Malay keris of all time, the Taming Sari, is so sadly depicted more like a cross between a Balinese and a Sumatran keris, although there are no records of how it looks like, any keris enthusiast would have laughed at it instantly!! A few of the story line are questionable, and most of the fighting scenes are relying more on mystical powers rather than the art of Silat self defense. All in all, it was a huge letdown, esp. with the 20 million tag.
The late P.Ramlee's movie about Hang Tuah and the same legendary stories have more concrete story lines and stronger impact on viewers, me inlcuded. This 20 million movie is more of a love story that is more in line with Bollywood story lines, and the only compliment i can give is the attire, which just like Bollywood is "imaculous".
Worst part is that i hear this movie will be involved in, or is already a candidate for an award in the comming Cannes film festival.
For those of you curious enough, the link below has a very accurate story and pictures from P.Ramlee's films of the good old days.
http://sg.wrs.yahoo.com/SIG=120srqcq...%2Fmelaka3.htm
And the picutre attached is the 20 million movie, which is on sale, easily available and very cheap!
Attached Images

Adni Aljunied is offline   Reply With Quote