View Single Post
Old 6th April 2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTICESWORDS
For the kind words and welcome Jim!

I myself have just finished authoring a book called, "The Catalog of Cruelty: An Illustrated Collection of Ancient Restraints and Instruments of Torture and Execution."

In doing research for the book I travelled to Germany and Switzerland and while in Switzerland I stayed with my good friend and fellow collector/historian Mr. Guido Varesi. Guido owns and curates a small but very impressive private museum called "The Henkermuseum" (Hangman's Museum) in Sissach, Switzerland.

Guido has what has to be one of the finest collection of authentic medieval period execution swords in private hands in most of Europe and I was afforded the chance to not only study and handle them but also to learn many of the little known superstitions associated with such "tools of the trade."

Of particular interest to me were also the commonly held beliefs concerning the executioner himself. He was feared, a social outcast who could not live in the village proper, and yet he fulfilled an appointed position in the legal system of the time and provded a much needed service.

I found it very interesting that following the death of the executioner, and if no replacement could be found, (this would be hard to do because almost no one wanted to be the executioner and become a social outcast), the local justice officials would sometimes place an execution sword on the floor of the local courtroom and invite males into the room. The first one to pick up the sword that happened to by laying on the ground was crowned the executioner!

A pretty underhanded way to give an unknowing soul a poor job but it did happen!

As for the 3 holes in the tip having been installed to give the sword a more sinister sound as it sliced through the air, I do not agree this was the reason for thier placement. I say this because during my travels I had the chance to swing many an execution sword and I did not hear any differing sound when doing so.

For this reason I think it is more likely that the holes were for the draining of the "bad energy" the sword had accumulated via many beheadings. It is also likely that the holes were three in number to denote or represent the holy trinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost and this bless the accursed tool of death.

Once again, thank you for the very warm welcome!

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

I'll begin by echoing the welcome!

Interesting reading about the role of the executioner.
I find the 'random' nature f the choosing to be quite suprising. After all, beheading akneeing man with a two handed sword is a relatively skilled task.
well, it's a skilled task if you want it done 'cleanly'

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote