View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro
Many thanks Ian to share your material and knowledge. This is water for thirsty people !! I was impressed by all photos but regarding the swords from the 1st one is quite interesting . In fact, in that image a classical takouba, the one you call brass hilted takouba with a blade with almost simmetrical sides, is used together a large triangular blade, the wide bladed takouba, that I would have attributed to the Nupe. In this photo it seems that the latter one is used by an higher rank man. Any comment is welcome.
Hi Mauro, glad you are enjoying the photos. The wide blade takoubas are find among the Nupe but also the Hausa. The two cultures had some similarities (and a lot of wars!).

I would not say the brass hilted takouba is carried by a man with higher rank - in this photo they should all be the same rank. The position of body guard was often occupied by slave soldiers as they were considered reliable. So I don't think we can say much about the differences in these two swords from rank of the men.

My personal theory is that the wide blades are an older native form (not European trade blade copy), the symmetrical sword in this picture is very likely a European blade with one central fuller.

Colin,

Great photo! Interesting to note the use of a musket. Also on the one rider we can clearly see a telek hilt. I will try to dig up some more Tuareg photos as well this weekend.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote