Thread: Palawan Badung
View Single Post
Old 25th November 2018, 06:12 AM   #4
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I have posted more examples previously that included barung from Palawan in the thread Modern Barung. Perhaps you could look at the examples posted there and provide your thoughts on which ones may be Palawano in origin. Also, the examples from N. Borneo that I posted in that thread show some of the characteristics that you attribute to Palawano badung.

Ian
Hi sir Ian, thanks for your interest on this matter! I am fortunate to have blade expert friends- some who were previous members in this forum years ago. Regarding the badung, I get my info from a friend who lives in Palawan and has formed close friendships with various stakeholders who have badungs- tribesmen, traditional smiths, and antique collectors. The Facebook page known as "Filipino Traditional Blades" also provides a lot of info about badungs, among other traditional blades. These sources gave me a lot of material which, after thorough studying, made me realize that the blade profile, hilt, and rope scabbard are the major differences of the badung from the barung.

I am also into modern barungs, and it just happened that two trusted contacts- a Yakan weaver, and a former forum member- helped me to ascertain the Ukkil differences present in the scabbards.

In your previous post, I agree that on the first three leaf-shaped blades you featured, the second one is indeed a badung, while the other two are most likely of Maranao origin, having seen such blades a-plenty in Malate, Manila as display pieces. The Cuyo piece is indeed a badung, as well as the one with MOP inserts. The most telling indicator of a badung, in my opinion, is the upturned tip.

Am interesting theory I got from the Palawan-based smith who forged my vinewrapped badung (he calls it 'Pangutaran badung', Pangutaran is an island in Tawi Tawi area) was that the upturned tip was reserved for the bravest warriors.

Very interesting note you made there about the Sabah barungs. I shall consult this info with my friends as well, if you don't mind. We are all equally interested regarding the badung's origin- in fact, we acknowledge the possibility that it may be a seperate blade from the barung (and not merely an evolution of the latter).

Last edited by xasterix; 25th November 2018 at 06:56 AM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote