View Single Post
Old 6th January 2014, 10:33 PM   #15
TVV

Jim,

This is very interesting. In discussions on Central Asian shashkas, I recall the general consensus being that the form became popular in Central Asia only in the second half of the 19th century, partially due to the Circassian diaspora, and partially due to the strong Russian military influence, following the successful conquest of the region by the Russian Empire.

On this particular sword I think we can agree that the scabbard fittings are bearing a motif that is distinctly Turkish. The hilt is also typical of Caucasus and subsequently Russian examples, and not of the Central Asian type.

If the blade is indeed from Afghanistan, then the history of the sword would be subject to some interesting speculation. The role of the Ottoman Empire in Central Asia during the Great Game was quite small, limited to moral support for the Muslim Khanates which opposed Russia in a futile attempt to retain their independence. We know that the Ottoman Sultan bestowed Yakub Beg of Kashgaria with the title of Emir, which apparently irked St. Petersburg. Kashgaria, as well as Bukhara and Khokand bordered Afghanistan, so assuming the blade is from Nuristan, it could have ended up with a soldier for one of the Khanates, who then fled to the Ottoman Empire after the Russian (or in the case of Kashgaria, Chinese) conquest of the region.

However, to be absolutely convinced on the Afghan origin, I would love to see the same decorative motives from the panels on the sword on another object from the area, even if the "calyx" is pretty convincing itself.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote