Thread: Indian Armguard
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2014, 03:08 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much guys for the additional images and material, and again I really do appreciate the references and cites. Estcrh, fantastic Pininterest site! and the images stored there are wonderful.
Ibrahiim thank you as well for the always interesting language notes, and it does seem that words and terms as they diffuse into other languages and dialects can become colloquially descriptive in broader sense than the original or root words.

I think this is much in the way that so many words in various languages can end up broadly referring to a wider range of edged weapons such as knife or dagger to sword, or various sword forms incorporated into one term such as the Arabic term sa'if.

Interestingly it would seem that, especially in India where there are so many languages, dialects and diverse cultural influences, that these kinds of descriptive terms have interpolated much as the arms and armor themselves have.

It would seem from what we have seen, these various elements of armor have been grouped together in composite assemblies of components to form functional sets. This is actually much the same as with European armor harness in which the components were often made by various makers and assembled into the complete set.

Thank you again Estrch for adding these additional examples which are attributed nominally to Sind, which gives us excellent perspective on the styles which were likely in use. This is I believe essentially what Paroosevelt has been trying to establish.

Again, absolutely fascinating topic and thread! On the references though, no need for super detail just title, author and publ date wih pages if possible
Well done on that, and much appreciated.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote