View Single Post
Old 14th January 2010, 07:13 PM   #24
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Sorry for not responding sooner!

You better be... or I'll have to pretend headhunting is still a very much alive tradition! just kidding

Yes, it does seem that the Dayaks, the Filipinos of Luzon and Visayas, as well as Taiwanese aborigines, have very strong cultural similarities... one of those is their blades. It would be interesting if a discussion could be had comparing, contrasting, and taking into account the various influences on these related Austronesian groups... I know for a fact that some of the people here have extensive bolo, sundang, and mandau collections.... the kind that makes you shamelessly drool uncontrollably, green with envy, or awed and impressed.

here a very old Dayak mandau scabbard ( around 1820) It maybe a small detail but the end of the scabbard looks like the end of Paiwan swords.
I my idea its a part of the more complex boatsymbolic that is widespread among cultures of the whole archipelago.
I don't know much about Taiwan however, ( just bougth the work of Chi-lu ) more or less encouraged by this thread.
Attached Images

Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote