View Single Post
Old 16th March 2009, 02:22 AM   #3
M ELEY

While these swords are indeed repulsive and I personally would never associate myself with them, they were produced in America from the (roughly) periods of 1870's-1930's. In various catalogs of esoteria, I have seen swords, headlight fixtures, trophies, awards, money bonds, etc. I am unaware that Ames ever made any of these, however, nor does it seem plausible they would label their trademark on such a sword of ill-disrepute even during those more racist times. I'm wondering if this isn't a generic fraternal sword made by Ames and altered in some way.

While this area of collecting is VERY controversial, this stuff does have value to those that collect such (I truly like to think that some of those collectors get it as a reminder of that which was evil, much as some German items are included in Holocaust collections). FINALLY, let us not forget that there are many of those that find what we do (collecting antique arms) as offensive and not PC for the times. I've been told that I collect "torture implements", % tools" and by one 'psychic' friend, that I was polluting my home with the spirits of the slain from all those killed by my collection (I often wondered if that included some of the gaudy dress pieces ). The point being, to each their own. I am fascinated about the the story of the Molly McGuires and the Royal Hibernean Fraternal Swords (they were like the IRA), used to have a New Guinea bone dagger CONFIRMED to be made from a human leg bone (not one made from the cassowary), used to have German WWII daggers, am trying to come across an original 'cat-o-nine tails' for my maritime collection % implement), sold my Igorot head axe not that long ago, etc, etc. One person's tin Sambo sign from the "30's" collected as black memoribilia (even among African Americans) is considered by others to be horribly racist and a waste. The point is, to each their own, I guess