View Single Post
Old 28th October 2010, 05:31 AM   #18
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
There were not "spanish" in California when it passed to the USA in the mid 19th century, since Meico got its independence since 1821 and all the spaniards were expelled from the country, though in the USA to this day they call mexicans as "hipanic" and this creates conffussion about national identities.

Gonzalo,

I referenced California's Spanish heritage for the sole purpose of clarifying that vaqueros existed here on the California frontier long before Mexico existed as a political entity. And thus, in truth, the vaqueros - at least those in California, where there were nearly a half-million heads of cattle - were of Spanish heritage.

While Mexican independence brought with it to California some welcome reforms, it also brought many unfortunate changes. However, to state that "Spaniards were expelled" is patently incorrect. There was no such expulsion, at least not here. The Californios who resided here under the Spanish standard continued to do so (and still do to this day - you are conversing with one). They welcomed the opportunity to trade with foreign merchants (though they already did so under Spanish rule, such trade was "officially" illicit).

But make no mistake about it - they never really considered themselves "Mexicans," a politically-born national identity from a seat of power thousands of kilometers away that meant nothing here on the California frontier. They considered themselves Californios. After Mexico had sent governors to rule, the Californios wholeheartedly rejected this imposed rule and revolted, and a Californio governor - Pio Pico - was once again elected to rule the state. When Andres Pico led his ranchero-born band of caballeros and vaqueros against the numerically superior U.S. 1st Dragoons in the Battle of San Pasqual in 1846 (not a dozen kilometers from where I sit and type this), they rode not as Mexicans, but as Californios. These families were second-generation Californios when the Mexican standard was raised in Monterey - while the flag may have changed, they remained the same. My great-great-great grandmother, Maria Encarnacion Pico - first cousin to Pio and Andres - was born here as a Spaniard. Her son, my great-great grandfather, died as an American. Yet through their two generations, and the generations that preceded them, they were always Californios.

I don't mean to be a stickler for such things, but one of my worst pet peeves is hearing a resident or first-generation immigrant of Mexican heritage refer to California as "occupied California" (not that you did this, as you clearly did not). Nothing could be further form the truth... California was born of Spain and flew under the Spanish standard for 56 years. And it is over the past 160 years as a proud member of the Union that we have flourished to become a global economic powerhouse. The 24 years in between during which the Mexican flag flew over the state capital were in truth inconsequential aside from the commerce-based reforms that would have taken place regardless less than a quarter-century later.

Mexico may be a proud part of our heritage and a small part of our history, but it is not part of our national identity.

Anyway, please do not take exception to any of this. I, along with thousands of others like me, are proud of our centuries-old California heritage, just as you are rightfully proud of your own.

Regarding the spurs, while there very well may be a remarkable difference between contemporary and period-original spurs from Amozoc, I can find no references to older spurs from Amozoc... I would be interested to see any references to such spurs for my own benefit if you have any links or published references you might share - I routinely encounter antique spurs at shows, auctions, and estate sales, and would be grateful for the opportunity to broaden my knowledge base. In the meantime, in the absence of such references, I still think the styling appears to be South American.

And lastly, Jim, you sir are indeed the consummate diplomat. Thank you for your willingness to proactively mitigate the risk of misunderstanding by illustrating the commonalities we share even when our opinions differ. In the end, I guess it is the espada ancha that binds us...