View Single Post
Old 24th November 2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Spunjer,
Thank you for your reply. The toe of the scabbard was described to me as being rounded with carving and unbroken. I will post a picture on it when the sword arrives. At the moment I am not able to etch the blade myself. Is there someone that you could recommend to do the job when it gets here? Thanks again.

Robert
Sure you can! This is how I do it. If anyone disagrees with my method, please post.
Steve

Etching Blades
Please understand that there are as many methods to etch blades as there are people that do it. Do a search on etching and read what others have to say.

1. Use acetone or denatured alcohol to degrease the blade. Both are flammable, so use good ventilation and follow the safety instructions on the can.
2. Cut a lemon, lime or other acidic fruit, and rub on the blade. Rub one side, then the other. Repeat until the pattern develops to your liking. You can also use warm vinegar.
3. Rinse the blade in cold water.
4. Neutralize the acid by rubbing the blade with a thick mixture of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and water, or with ammonia, or window cleaner containing ammonia.
5. Rinse the blade in cold water.
6. Dry the blade thoroughly, and oil it well with mineral oil, or whatever you currently use to prevent rust.

An alternative is to use ferric chloride. It works quicker and sometimes brings the pattern out better, but is potentially more dangerous to the blade.

1. Use acetone or denatured alcohol to degrease the blade. Both are flammable, so use good ventilation and follow the safety instructions on the can.
2. Mix one part Ferric Chloride, available in the US from Radio Shack as Printed circuit board etchant, with 3 or 4 parts distilled water.
3. Using rubber gloves saturate a rag or paper towel with the solution and rub it onto the blade. Put it on with a fully saturated rag, and wipe it on evenly. Do one side then the other, doing your best to cover the full side of the blade in one pass. Don’t let the solution run down into the grip. I use a plastic trough that is used to wet wallpaper that I bought at the local home improvements store to catch the drips.
4. When satisfied with the pattern, rinse with cold water.
5. Rub the blade with a rag or paper towel saturated with vinegar. I’ve read that this helps to stop the ferric chloride reaction.
6. Rinse with cold water.
7 Neutralize the acid by rubbing the blade with ammonia, or window cleaner containing ammonia.
8. Rinse with cold water.
9 Dry the blade thoroughly, and oil it well with mineral oil, or whatever you currently use to prevent rust.
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote