Thread: Howdah Pistol
View Single Post
Old 20th October 2008, 12:45 AM   #19
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
interesting pattern welded (damascus) barrels, hadn't noted them from the earlier pictures.

unfortunately, damascus barrels usually mean that internal corrosion from the primer material and the powder, and subsequent cleaning involving hot water to remove the powder residue insidiously attacks and weakens the weld lines over it's life, and damascus black powder weapons are best left unfired nowadays as they are more likely to come apart at the seams, leaving you with a hand full (possibly quite literally if it leaves your hand behind) of spirals. one theory being that they are safer as they have less tendency to fragment and kill bystanders. i wouldn't want to be the one firing it in any case.
Kronckew,

Thanks for the advice. What you say makes sense. I think the days of "anti-tiger" loads are for in the pistol's past. Maybe enough to go "BOOM" with just wads. I have a local guy who knows a lot about these old guns. I'll let him shoot it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Hi Bill. In Belgian shotgun bores 17.2mm = 15 gauge/ 401 grain ball needed to fill the bore. 18.o mm=s 13 gauge 463 grn ball. When you rotate the hammers back there should be two separate notches half and full cock. The half cock keeps the hammers on safe from firing the percussion caps. What system is used to retain the ramrod? The advice on damascus barrels is correct, I use shot and wads to keep the pressure down; but, I'm a gun nut.
Oh, older gun digests and Dixie gun works catalogues have info in bores gauges etc.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The half-cock is not safe. When you pull the trigger, the gun fires. Half or full cock. I may take the lock apart and see why this happens.

My friend here says he will "mike the bore" and tell me what size it is. I AM a little nervous about firing a projectile.

He said that he thought it was Belgian from looking at it. Could not see the proof marks, covered by the stock, so I guess it must be Belgian.

I am familiar with Dixie Gun works. There is a store here in Atlanta called Dixie, but I don't know if it is the same company. I bought some cannon grade black powder and fuse from them.

I have some bronze Borneo swivel guns that date back to the 1500s - -- 1600s. I don't use projectiles in them either.

Thank you for your responses, everyone.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 20th October 2008 at 02:03 AM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote