Thread: Howdah Pistol
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Bill M

I met with an expert on older guns today. I asked him about the "straight rifling." He informed me of something that was so obvious I should have seen it from the start.

It was to prevent or at least postpone fouling. Has nothing to do with trajectory or bullet rotation.

I wonder if rifled guns fouled less than smoothbores? I bet they did.

Richard,

So good to see you on this forum! From your posts on British Militaria, you have a LOT to contribute!

Thanks for your information. Would love to see the article on Howdah pistols.

Fernando,

Good to be here. I may be getting the Jaziel(?) Afghan rifle down down a little oiling.

Jim,

Yeah, I do feel like "tonight I am going to Africa." The Tsavo lion is in our bedroom. Though he is frozen in mid-leap, sometimes I catch a glimpse of him from the corner of my eye and he seems to be watching.

Sometimes Anne and I go around our house holding only one candle. Total darkness otherwise. I suggest doing this. You can see things by candlelight that are not there with room lighting.

I also have my eye on a store near me that sells powder, percussion caps, bullets and supplies. I WILL be working with an expert in old guns before firig it. He has some other people who want to go to the range.

He has suggested that I really do not want full power loads in the howdah pistol, or the Snider because it will hurt!

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 1st October 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote