View Single Post
Old 31st August 2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Ron Anderson

Thank you Jim

The question then is: is this 19th century or 20th?

I can't give a definitive answer to that. I have seen two of these gargoyles here in Sydney with subtle variation - one with its mouth open (mine) and the other its mouth closed.

Both have some age. The other had some damage to the scabbard. Mine was cleaned up by the person who sold it to me. Some of the silver plating has gone and the copper shines though. The blade shows signs of oxidation even though it's been cleaned up.

But age is hard to determine, as I am discovering daily. I have a gaucho here dated 1965 and the blade looks two hundred years old. I also have a briquet that seems to be a 100 years younger than I thought it was.

At the same time, I have an 18th century hunting sword from Austria in beautiful condition, with very little to suggest its age.

I will say that if this is a 20th century dagger, it is not a new one. If it is not antique, it is certainly vintage.

It is hard to see those subtle signs that suggest age over a photo. In these photos they have all been eliminated by the flash.

Regards
Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote