Thread: Keris dagger
View Single Post
Old 5th July 2017, 07:23 PM   #7
cookyboy1

Smile Keris

Thanks for all the information all you have given me .it seems i have a lot to learn i did not realise that a blade had so many different names for different parts of the blade and scabbard.i will do more reading on keris and try to learn all the terminology that goes with these blades .thanks again..
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It would appear that your sheath was missing the buntut, or end piece that would have finished off the stem of the sheath. These pieces are often formed form a piece if ivory or horn, but the wood you used does not detract form the piece and even looks a little bit like ivory in these photos due to the lighter color. I don't think this does any damage to the ensemble, especially if it can be removed and replaced with something more appropriate in the future. For now i wouldn't worry about it.
Theis keris does seem to have some age to it, though you are not likely to get a specific date. 19th century might be a good start. It does look like the blade could be Javanese though the dress is a Malay form. Javanese blades were often traded widely across Indonesia so this is not surprising.
As to the hilt orientation, I concur with Rick that keris from these regions are often presented with the hilt facing in this direction. I do find this position uncomfortable for holding the blade in use, but i have often seen such keris with the blade at rest in the sheath like this. Often hilts are not fixed in position and can be adjusted when needed.
cookyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote