Thread: Keris Jawa?
View Single Post
Old 4th January 2023, 12:42 AM   #39
rasdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Rasdan

I agree with everything you have written Rasdan, and when it gets right down to it, you have set forth the the whole problem of giving the keris shown in Post #1 a classification:- it lacks a sufficient balance of indicators that would permit it to be placed in any broad classification.

I cannot say in even broad terms where it is from, and since I was taught that we achieve an opinion in respect of classification by eliminating all the examples that have features which preclude them from consideration, I cannot give an opinion where this keris might be from, nor can I give an opinion on where it might not be from.

Guesses I can do, opinions I cannot.

You're right about the Mataram classification, there is a multitude of sub-classifications for Mataram.

In my opinion you are also right about classification & quality:- we do not need to have an applicable tangguh classification to have quality in a keris. The two concepts differ.
Yes Alan, and then there are kerisses that is obviously not very high quality but is still appealing to me. Keris can be confusing at times.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote