View Single Post
Old 8th June 2007, 09:10 PM   #5
t_c

My understanding is that the sharper the blade, the cleaner the cut. A clean cut is more difficult to heal, because there are less "ragged edges". The ragged edges from a duller blade actully help the clotting process because the platelets have a better surface to cling to and close the wound as the blood flows out. The logic is that a smooth surface will make it more difficult for the platelets to cling to the flesh. This loosley applies to triangular and "cross" sectioned bayonets/blades due to the cavernous nature of the wound (less surfaces touch for the platelets to "stich up"). From this logic I would expect that the only difference between a sinuous blade and a straight blade (as far as bodily trauma is concerned) would be the width of the blade creating the wound. I should qualify what I have said so far in that is has been looking at the problem as it relates to thrusts not cuts. When it comes to cuts, I believe that physics dictates that there is more pressure when the coiliding objects are closer to perpendicular than parallel (each little wave acts almost like a wedge in a sense). A sinous blade would have greater forces (but in smaller segments) in a cut due to the fact that the blade is hitting the flesh further from parallel than a straight blade (one constant force) as it's drawn across. This is a generalization, and I really don't know if this logic is completely valid or not, but this is how I've come to understand it. In reality there are a lot of little variables that one would have to consider, but in truth straight and sinous blades probably balance out pretty closely. I'd be curious to hear any arguments for or against this logic (I'm not a doctor or a physicist).

Bill, I agree with you - any hole in a person is bad news, but yes, it comes down to targeting and relative trauma.

My general perspective on sinous blades is that they were developed out of cultural and asthetic reasons. Looking at blades as objects of art, I think sinous blades are beautiful and represent a somewhat greater achievement in craftsmanship over a straight blade, but that's just my own bias. I do think they are less utilitarian though.
t_c is offline   Reply With Quote