View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2007, 04:33 PM   #1
ganjawulung

Default P a t r e m -- The Smaller Keris

Dear All,

Certainly, this is not a scene in Golgotha. I just want so share with you all about the Smaller Keris the Javanese call it as "patrem". So small, that people often call the patrem as "keris for women". The size is about -- in Javanese word: "sekilan". Or the size of spreading fingers, from thumb to the other end of the finger (I miss my English word for my smallest finger)...

The patrem's dhapur is usually very simple: straight and no much details (ricikan). Mostly, dhapur "brojol", "tilamupih", "tilamsari". But sometimes "naga" motives too.

This time, I will show you a keris which was reshaped (I don't know the exact word of Javanese "dibesut" or "keris besutan" in English) by may favorite Solonese keris-maker, Sukamdi. Almost not changed the size, and certainly not change the ricikan (details) or added something in the blade, except renew the "greneng" (I don't even know the right English word for this, please David). So actually, the form is still Majapahit patrem, but seems very brand new. Sorry for to do that. Because, such action is allowed in Solonese people, but prohibited in the neighboring city, Yogyakarta. Very sorry for that...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote