View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:21 PM   #53
RDGAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
DO NOT under any circumstances shoot an antique weapon without first having it looked at by a competent gunsmith. I believe Rick (rickstyl) shoots antiques but as far as I know he has the barrel relined before firing them. If you want to have a go at muzzleloaders join a local gun club with a muzzleloading section. Blackpowder is classed as an explosive in the U.K. and is subject to different storage regulations to smokeless powders and a license specifically for blackpowder is required. Always safety first.
Regards,
Norman.
Norm, when it comes to kit I agree with safety first, believe me. I've no issue with the Proofing laws in this country, which I think entirely sensible and, indeed, in one's ownj interest and those of the gun trade as a whole. Firing an unchecked barrel is always going to be a risky business, and, while I resent the implication that I'm too bloody stupid to grasp that idea, I understand that it's simply too big a minefield to leave people to get guns checked competently of their own volition.

My disagreement lies with the (IMO) too-restrictive firearms ownership regulations in Britain, which is a whole different kettle of fish, not for this forum.

Regarding clubs, my nearest muzzle-loading club is in Wakefield, about 30-40 miles (or an hour's travel time) away. I did look at going there, but since I'd need to obtain a gun of my own to shoot there anyway, it hardly seemed worth the effort - especially since I'd need the attendant paraphernalia of cabinets and other security devices, which I can't afford, and which I'd be unlikely to be able to install in any case (rented accommodation). It's rather like driving - I could probably afford to learn to, and I could probably afford a car, but I couldn't afford to fuel it, tax it, or insure it. Theoretical freedom compromised by practical restrictions. Most frustrating at times.

I'd very much like, if I could acquire one with a good barrel, to have a shoot with a jezail, as I said. Sadly however, that's going to require a lot of hoop-jumping - licensing, storage, Proofing, acquiring a powder license, and then acquiring the powder, as far as I can see. Land of hope and glory, mother of the free, indeed.

Spiral: Thanks for that enlightenment. I had read it was supposedly due to BP being much easier to ignite by heat or naked flame, as well. My opinions on smoking law are a discussion for elsewhere, methinks - wouldn't really fit the forum's rules!
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote