View Single Post
Old 21st December 2013, 06:03 PM   #53
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams~ So I present the Khoummya of Morocco.

* There is a superb rendition on http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/koummya/

* Members are encouraged to type koummya into Forum Search for more than 4 pages of great threads on this subject.

My initial note suggests that this should be the easier of the group to pin down as we have almost already done so earlier. The configuration of the hilt generally follows that of the Genoui or Janwi of Genoa. Many of the swords and daggers mirrored in Morocco and surrounding regions are inspired in design from those of the City States of Genoa, Rome, Venice and Constantinople.
Khoummya;
Full length: 40, 5 cm, blade length; 22 cm

Dagger used by the Muslim peoples of North Africa, particularly in Morocco. Characterized by its slightly curved smooth steel blade, which is half edged, and four fifths counter edged.

The Koummya is always worn visible over the tunic (dejellaba), on the left side, hanging vertically up to waist-length by a long wool string (baldric), tied to the rings of its sheath. This sheath is worn with its point turned towards the front.

I illustrate below the link in the design of hilt between the straight Genoui and the curved Koummya.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 21st December 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote