View Single Post
Old 30th December 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
When thinking about Ottoman influences in Indian arms one might look at the Coorgi(sp?) as a possibility. The Ottomans had extensive involvement there from the 16th century onward. Matter of fact, years ago I had a very nice Ayda Katti that had a rather Turkish crescent moon on the handle. Matter of fact, when you look at the Ayda Katti it also has a somewhat downturned blade like this example. I believe many of the Ayda Katti also have checkered grips. Maybe this is a Coorg sword?

Salaams RSWORD ~ I am well out of my comfort zone on this item however it does look South Indian/ Malibari and I understand the Coorg is the national weapon there but... its a quite different shape. Coorgs are like inverted kukri? sickle blades, quite squat~ to my understanding. The grip is clearly a two hander. This looks like a very formidable first strike sort of weapon and my first thoughts were executioners ! Is it not Malaysian or Indonesian? The star and moon is Islamic but which area?... It looks orientalish... Nice to see ..
Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote