View Single Post
Old 6th August 2006, 11:31 PM   #18
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie W.
So going back to your questions, Rick; are you assuming that I'm wisecracking ? Well, let me ask you this; is that how you percieve it? IMHO, I'm not. Am I annoyed with the collecting community? No, but I am tired of seeing the prices of these swords go up and everyone here act like it's OK. I know it's inivitable (sp), but a message to the price drivers, please don't pay that much for something you don't know squat, or just because it looks "pretty" to you. There are actually some people who collect it because it means more than an art object, that these artifacts are the bridges to someone's heritage, and with the prices going up at this rate, the future generation would never know.
Hey Willie, where on earth did you get the idea that "everyone here" is acting like these escalating prices are OK. Re-read the thread you linked and then re-read this one. Are the majority of responses really in favor of this super high prices?
I don't think Rick or anybody else is looking to shut out your words with the ignore feature (at least not yet . Nobody is demanding that you need a reason to be here either. But you have made a number of allusions to knowledge that you have failed to follow through on. This forum is a place to share such knowledge. If you don't care to share that's OK too, but acting like you know something more and not backing it up doesn't hold much water on internet forums IMO.
You also make a rather broad assumption as to why various collectors collect these objects. I wouldn't begin to guess at why these folks Dave and Lorna collect Moro weapons. Likewise you haven't a clue as to my motivation to collect Indonesian keris. Why you collect is, of course, your business.
I truly believe that when Rick encourages you to "be candid" he means just that. But try actually saying something worthwhile and constructive with it. That's the trick.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote