View Single Post
Old 24th January 2014, 01:47 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I AGREE THERE ARE MANY GOOD KOUMMYA OUT THERE AND THEY ARE THE ONES WE LIKE TO COLLECT. I ALSO SUSPECT THERE MAY BE SOME OUT THERE THAT WE WOULD CONSIDER SUBSTANDARD AND OF VERY POOR QUALITY THAT MAY BE USED BY THOSE WHO CANNOT AFFORD A GOOD QUALITY ONE. THE FIRST ONE IN THIS POST IS OF POOR WORKMANSHIP BUT APPEARS GAUDY WITH FAKE STONES AND SHINEY BRASS. THE SECOND EXAMPLE IS OF BETTER WORKMANSHIP BUT THE REPAIRS WERE POORLY DONE.
I DON'T KNOW IF THE FIRST KOUMMYA IS JUST A GAUDY CHEAP ITEM INTENDED FOR TOURISTS ONLY OR IF THERE IS ANOTHER MARKET FOR SUCH ITEMS LOCALLY. DIFFERENT TASTES THAN OUR OWN DO EXHIST I AM ONLY WONDERING IF THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF THESE ITEMS NOT BEING FOR TOURISTS ONLY. PERHAPS A MEMBER WHO HAS LIVED IN MOROCCO FOR A LONG TIME COULD ENLIGHTEN US.

Salaams Vandoo I think you have nailed it!... with one reservation ... Given that the items were obtained quite reasonably cheaply it is a good opportunity to advance the study in this particular weapon field for the owner. In that way it becomes an interesting break in.. to the amazing history of that weapon family. Thus even a basic more or less newish copy can take on a completely new face as the owner dives into new territory and unfolds the fascinating world of the Koummya.

I put it to Forum that it is not the "Wow thats nice" "Oooh luvly" or other cosmetic calls that drive our field of interest but the in depth look at the Ethnographics of such a weapon.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote