View Single Post
Old 12th May 2017, 07:43 AM   #14
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Thank you for your opinions gentlemen.

I'll accept hunting dagger, but it really seems more suited to something other than that, I have hunted all my life, including chasing wild pigs on foot, and killing them with spears and bayonets, and I just cannot understand how a dagger like this could be used to kill game. I guess you could finish off something that was already down, maybe drive it through an ear, or an eye --- provided the animal didn't kick around too much, but this is a purely stabbing implement, you couldn't do the quick , kind thing and cut its throat.

i'd bet that a well decorated 'hunting' sword or dagger/knife would be carried by a noble as part of his 'hunting' outfit, and who would have retainers and servants to do the actual dirty work. a more active noble who wanted to engage in DIY might carry or borrow a more useful version from someone if he wanted to actually insert it into an animal.

he wouldn't want to have any actual wear on his, that would be so declasse. the bottom one with the patinated real blade might fill that role, nice fancy handle for his more senior retainers to show his lord can afford to equip them nicely, but a functional blade for someone who would be required to actually use it.

those of a more sensitive nature or under 18 please look away now.

Last edited by fernando; 12th May 2017 at 11:12 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote