View Single Post
Old 8th February 2024, 11:11 PM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post

You have sharp eyes, yes there is a gap in front and back of the gonjo when it is in scabbard but I am nearly convinced that it's the original scabbard, the visible patina inside the scabbard and the secure fit let me think like this.

Regards,
Detlef
Hi Detlef,

The blending of styles across the sarung, hulu and blade, I did not recognise as harmonious, and I still ask questions to my peers and mentors most weeks as there are always little nuances that are sometimes overlooked, in my case, on items I have had for years.

It was what I personally could not see as harmonious that prompted me to save the photos and zoom in, hence the need glasses comments above, then I saw in more detail these gaps.

For reference, I have several keris here that I can interchange the sarung and blades for a perfectly acceptable fit, so I can see how you came to feel this about the piece you have. I feel it is OK to have wear on older examples on the belalai side, and perhaps even a little sunken in on this side of the sampir, but not the kerawang end, it doesn't make practical sense to me.

Unravelling the confusion in my mind when viewing this as a whole leads me to think Sumatra side, particularly coupled with the gonjo shape, which can be Perak too, but other aspects of the blade I don't see Perak at all. I kind of get glimpses of Kedah in small parts, but aligned with certain angles in the features and luks, and the clear hexagonal cross section, I come back to Bugis Sumatra.

Regardless, these things can be changed if desired or required.
It is a genuine old blade and all aspects of the dress carry appropriate age aligning with the blade.

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 9th February 2024 at 08:29 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote