View Single Post
Old 7th September 2007, 07:44 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Those are excellent observations David, and well placed points. It is always good to see well thought out suggestions and ideas in evaluating the possible provenance and identification of weapons, especially something as unusual as this.
I am inclined to agree with Tim, and am glad he agrees with my suggestions on the possible totemic or symbolic value of this piece. The note on the South Seas cargo cults is well placed, though it does seem amazing that there were tribal groups in Africa this late that had not encountered white explorers. The trade routes and exploration throughout the latter 19th century became more intensive later, but of course it is well known that these African regions still brought the sobriquet 'the dark continent' as so much of the interior was unexplored.
I do think that power symbolism may have been the root of the design of the mounts on this weapon, whether tribal emulation of the understandable fearful guns they experienced with the exposure to Europeans, or even by an adventuresome guide or warrior associated with exploration or trade parties.
In just looking at the effective appearance of this weapon it rather brings to mind the type of altered guns seen in movies such as the sawed off shotguns and holstered rifles that often provided rather dramatic effect in the movies I previously mentioned. In even further retrospect I think of the large ring lever on the guns of "The Rifleman" and Steve McQueens sawed off Winchester (I believe) in "Wanted Dead or Alive". Interestingly such effect has often been employed in so many weapon forms in movies over the years it does no seem at all surprising to think of the same psychological effect being used in the tribal setting as it appeals directly to human nature and senses.

I recall in discussions years ago involving the crocodile mounts on kaskara and some other weapon forms in the Sudan. I suggested that these were quite possibly applied to provide a fearful image to the holder of the weapon, in the totemic sense that he held the power of the crocodile in this case. While there were many suggestions to the contrary that insisted these were simply dramatically stylized pieces made to impress tourists, I felt that this was not the case. Since the practice of slaving was of course well known in the southern Sudan , and incursions further south into regions even as far as those we are considering here, the much feared crocodile would add a very feared image for the individual wearing it.
I just have added this instance to support the concept of what Tim and I have suggested concerning the purpose of the image projected.

An ethnographic weapon that brings forth this much thought and discussion is indeed a treasure! and I hope others will join in as well ! I look forward to more thoughts on the hilt also, what other weapons might have influenced the shape of the mounts?

Tim, can you tell us more on that bayonet looking item posted with this?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote