View Single Post
Old 26th June 2011, 11:29 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

I beg to disagree with the Malaysian attribution of manufacture of this hilt.

Certainly, the blade is not Madurese.

Certainly the selut is not Madurese.

However, stylistically and in execution and material this hilt has every appearance of a piece originating in Madura, in fact I have several with similar motifs -- I just now tried to find them so I could photograph, but they are not amongst my collection hilts and must be on keris, and that then becomes half a days work, which I am not prepared to do just to prove a point.

Let me put this to you:-

if you saw this hilt away from the keris it is now on, would anybody say:-

"ah yes --- Malay copy --- not Madura"

I most sincerely doubt it.

The simple fact of the matter is this:-

once we move away from an area that is under the direct influence of a karaton, and where dress codes are more or less enforced, during the period from around, say, 1850, through to 1950, and even up until the present day, people would upgrade their keris with superior components that fell into their hands, whether those components were correct to local dress or not.

I have seen a great many examples of this practice over the years, and even in rural areas of Jawa it can apply.

I have nominated this time frame because this is the period when there was an explosion of trade and communication across Maritime S.E.Asia.

Then there is the confusion caused by mating incorrect components that is carried out by over enthusiastic collectors and avaricious dealers.

When we seek to nominate a point of origin for a particular item, be it part of a keris, or something else entirely, it is always wise to use known facts as our point of reference.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote