View Single Post
Old 24th June 2022, 01:35 AM   #3
RobT

Default I Have Two

Hi JoeCanada42,

I have two of these blades. Both have a chisel grind and both have wooden sheaths and hilts.
The chisel grind on the longer of the two blades (15-9/16", 39.52875cm) is so slight that it can't be seen but rather must be felt. The blade is also rather thin at just over 3/16" (4.7625mm) at the hilt and has a chisel grind false edge.
The shorter of the blades (9-1/8", 23.1775) appears to be far more robust with a noticeable chisel grind but is only about 1/32" (.79375mm) thicker at the hilt than the longer blade.
I have a feeling that your blade probably also had a wooden sheath at one time. Based on my examples, I see no reason to believe that the hilt on yours isn't original to the knife (lucky you to have one with a brass ferrule and butt cap). I think my blades and yours are 20th century. Whether early, mid or late I couldn't say. As to being run of the mill, well, I think that they are rather unique in that they come in taribong like sheaths but the blades are completely unlike the typical taribong.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote