View Single Post
Old 20th March 2022, 10:07 AM   #11
Triarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Very well noted Udo. With small swords, as we are aware, while they were around through 17th c. with their use extending through the 18th, but by the time of the funeral of Louis XV their character had changed.

Note the full pas d'ane rings, by 1770s these had become more vestigial and flatter, virtually eliminating the original purpose. The blade on this seems of early form but the rebated blade tip is curious.

With blade engravings of course, they are most often commemorative with these kinds of figures such as the wigged head. I think of the hussar figures with panoplies of arms etc. are just a popular theme on many saber blades. Many of these (as well as on plug bayonets) have the 'viva pandour' phrase.

In Norman's quote (as cited) he is referring to the range of variations of the so called mortuary hilts we are discussing, which of course are unrelated to these 'mourning' small swords' , and reiterating that they were in fact used by both sides in the English Civil wars and related campaigns.

Your comparison in well placed however in noting the somber tone in the sobriquets of these swords

I would add here that the evolution of the 'mortuary' sword corresponds with the early development of the Hounslow sword phenomenon in England in which German smiths were established in the outskirts of London in the 1630s.Here they were fabricating various swords which apparently included these 'mortuary' swords.

Here is one I think may be from Hounslow before the shops were taken over by Cromwell.

This has a typical ANDREA FERARA blade from Solingen, revealing that not ALL such blades went to Scotland, but indeed reached England and Hounslow where a notable number of Solingen blades augmented those produced by the German smiths in those shops.
Apologies for resurrecting this after such a long gap, but is there any evidence that there were two side guards on this? I can't see a screw hole on the pommel or signs of the recurved bars sitting on the inner side of the guard. To me that one, with its very fine boat shape gives the impression of a kind of evolution from the AVB Norman Type 91 hilts.
Triarii is offline   Reply With Quote