View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2022, 03:01 PM   #19
milandro

Thanks, interesting remarks.

I wonder if there is anything specific in the Rarung story (or any other traditional character ) which would specifically be connected with the feature, to me very striking of the face being covered by the hair.

It seemed to me that should be a distinctive feature, present in both these carvings ,but ( please, correct me if I am wrong, I know you will) not very common in general .

ADDENDUM: I have found a description of the Calon Arang story

https://australian.museum/learn/cult...inting-e74214/

She is a widowed woman which at some point of the story transforms herself into Rangdna ( I am quoting from the link)

"The fifth scene has two parts: on the left the Minister and his party attack Calonarang, who is asleep without her headdress and with hair loose, in a pavilion within her house. In the right section Calonarang has transformed herself into the invulnerable witch Rangda. She is shown incinerating the minister, while his followers are dismayed and prepare to flee. Some versions of the story suggest that Calonarang was actually killed while still asleep and only then assumed her magical form and retaliated...."

So this may be really Calon Arang (in a way so this is just before she turns into Rangda )

Last edited by milandro; 2nd February 2022 at 03:13 PM. Reason: extra information
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote