View Single Post
Old 8th June 2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Tim Simmons

Thank you for your reply. I revisited this thread after looking at the Leiden Museum online data. There I found an example of a similar size to mine being approx 120 cm {I got the size wrong in the first post for some reason}. Other Taiaha in the collection have minimal decorative carving with no eyes but I have not found a completely plain example. With regard to length that might depend on a warriors own preference and style of fighting, whether to engage close hard and fast, you might like slightly shorter weapon. Fine carved head and tongue Taiaha would depend on status. Many may not have been made for combat. Not all high status Maori would be warriors but would probably still carry Taiaha.

I am reasonably satisfied that the writing on my piece is at least 19th century. I have added a few more close up pictures. The spelling seems to me to be Taieha. What appears to be 'e' might just be the result of fast writing. The club does have some age, just by the nature of the rusted through eye? screws that were obviously put in at some time display purposes. This condition would take many years to happen. Who knows why the head is so roughly carved? not all practical implements need to be decorative to function. Chatham Island weapons are in the same form as NZ weapons but not decorative.

It is hard to capture good close up detail with a fun snap camera.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote