View Single Post
Old 11th October 2019, 07:06 PM   #35
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ibrahiim we crossed posts, and thank you so much for the interesting detail and insights into these 'stars' etc.
The point I have been making is that these 'cogwheels' (aka mullets) seen consistently in many European marking groups, while often appearing to represent stars, are actually more aligned with mill components (hence cogwheel) as used in blade making. The same representation is present in the familiar use of the 'mill rind' (aka twig) marking which has become at times entwined with the 'marca mosca' or fly marking. These are all basically Italian marks which have diffused into other European repertoire.

In the thread linked by Kubur, there is considerable discussion on the use of the crescent man in the moon, as well as notes toward the 'Star of Solomon' or six point star. Here is where we digress.
The number of points on the star are in my opinion, moot, as far as the use of these mullets, or cogwheels in various blade marking configurations.

The 'mill' theme seems to have been notably present in Italian marking systems as pointed out with mill rinds (twigs) and cogwheels , but in other European parlance may well have been seen resembling the 'mullet' in their heraldry.
The mullet represents a chivalry spur, and the number of rowels varied. Some may be seen as forms of stars, i.e. six point; five point (pentagram) or eight point.
Here I would note that the six point star, or Star of Solomon, is actually two transposed triangles, not a star with six points. The six point star much later became the Mogan David used in the Jewish Faith.

Here we see the widely disparate perceptions of certain symbols, which is well known with European symbols being copied in native contexts as they received trade blades imported from European sources.

The crescent moon easily melded into various cultures with the prevalence of lunar phases and observances keyed into their beliefs.

The cogwheel or mullet, as far as I can determine, even though perhaps seen as a star via the astral prism, did not have the same importance as the crescent in native interpretation.

In European (particularly Italian) parlance, the cogwheel just as the mill rind would have been cognate with the elements of the work of blade making, as might well have been recognized by guilds and marks used by makers in accord with record keeping.

To return to the discussion on Stu's tulwar, I personally feel that the blade is European, probably German (the latten inlay) and likely a cavalry blade of 18th c.
While Kubur posted a tulwar with a most impressive blade with linear use of the cogwheels (post #26) suggesting the blade is Indian using 'stars', it is my impression this is an Italian blade resembling those of storta swords.
The markings are configured in the same Italian convention I have seen on numerous sword blades of Italian origin (typically schiavona type) found in khanda (thus termed 'firangi').
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote