View Single Post
Old 15th April 2019, 06:35 AM   #41
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ed, this thread is outstanding, as is the paper you are developing and sharing here. It is truly exciting to see such scholarship in thoroughly examining this sword form, and finally compiling some resolving data in understanding these historic swords.

In reading through this, I have attempted to work my way through my own disheveled notes over some years of research I had worked on with various persons including some great conversations with you.

I wanted to add what I can here, as well as bring in some thoughts/questions.

The earliest example of the sword we recognize as the 'kaskara' as noted with the Funj Sultan Nasir Mohammed (1762-69) is interesting, especially with this star and comet motif. I had thought this cosmological concept with comets had come from the Mahdist period and had to do with his coming (Nigmet al Mahdi) and noted the great comet of 1882. Clearly this sign was already well known in the Islamic Dogma in these regions much earlier.
Also, the cosmological theme seems highly favored in blade decoration (the moons in some later blades with linear groups (on some 'lohr' blades).
In the comet and stars pattern motif in these hilts, it seems like there is a buduh square but with dots, at least it is what it reminds me of.

It is interesting that as late as 1870s, when Burton was researching his 1884 "Book of the Sword" , he saw these swords as from the Danakil (Afar from Ethiopian regions). While he used the term kaskara for broadswords of the Baggara tribes to the west, he does not seem to associate them with the 'Danakil' swords (illustrated as exactly kaskara in form).

The Princeton (1910) work posted here shows these swords to be of the Tigre, a people of Eritrea and Sudan. Other references noting kaskara seem to consider these of these regions, such as the "Voyage to Abysssinae" Theophile Lefebvre (1845) which interestingly illustrates a DUAL SPHERE 'kaskara' type sword (from 'History and Antiquities of Darfur' H.C. Balfour Paul , Sudan Antiquities Pamplet, 1955).
It would seem that 'kaskara' were a broadsword which evolved, probably through Mamluk sword types (?) in Sennar regions early (1760s at least) and were diffused into Ethiopian, Eritrean regions accordingly.

The subject of the dual sphere pommel, I found noted ( "Mahdism and the Egyptian Sudan" F.R.Wingate . 1891, p.137) ….." a pommel of twin flattened hollow spheres filled with beans or small pebbles- common among mounted nobility in Darfur. During victory celebrations Mahdist cavalry charged toward surrendered troops at full gallop, with these swords drawn and shook them to frighten the prisoners".
This was concurred in "Ten Years in the Mahdist Camp 1882-92" by Father Joseph Ohrwalder (1892).

As previously noted from the French book of 1845 (Lefebvre) one of these dual pommel swords is drawn, and presumably of Ethiopian origin.

The illustrations are of the dual sphere pommel shown earlier in this thread.
Next an Ali Dinar period kaskara I have, note the crocodile hide, also the unusual marking at forte which has been thought perhaps to be the Kull death head as interpreted.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th April 2019 at 06:45 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote