View Single Post
Old 5th January 2019, 07:44 PM   #262
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Hilt: Khanjar Zaraf al Hindi ~

Again I rely largely on the pictorial with whatever detail I can muster with this most interesting development in good quality hilts. the Zaraf al Afrique which we know better as the rhino is very translucent and hugely expensive and of course very rare and almost extinct. (The Rhino has another name ~ wahid al garn which can be, the one with the horn or the one horn)

Now to the pictures~ on which it can be seen the colour range for this horn is from almost black through a nut brown to an almost olive light green... its ability to accept silver nails almost the same as the Rhino hilt makes it the best alternative yet seen and could help save the Rhino from extinction.

I believe that aspects in design of the Omani Khanjar are directly linked to the Rhino traditionally and down many centuries from the shape of the blade to the pins reflecting the Rhino horn fabric and the turned up decorated scabbard and the fact that this weapon is worn front and centre on the belt. In support there is also the Rhino hilt shield also carried with the Khanjar and or sword. My post earlier at #246 looks at the same design.
Attached Images

Last edited by Battara; 16th January 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote