Thread: Omani Sayf/Saif
View Single Post
Old 29th October 2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a very nice example of these Omani sa'if, which have for many years been termed 'kattara' in the long standing literature. This is however incorrect and the term sa'if, while general, is how they are termed.

This blade does seem to be European with the 'running wolf' and character of the blade overall seeming to correspond with many German types.
While the Mutrah situation is well known as a location where examples were put together intended for souks, there is another factor to be aware of.

These type open hilt broadswords were also a status oriented accoutrerment which was worn by Omani men, especially merchants and official figures, much in the way the khanjhar daggers are worn. There have been considerable stockpiles of old European blades held in Bedouin arsenals which have been filtered into circulation over time from many years of trade.
Mutrah and other locations often simply fashioned these swords using these old blades, which were deemed of status on their own.

While this may be considered a 'fighting blade', in this particular style distinct to Oman with open cylindrical hilt, was never used in combat (Demmin, 1877; Burton, 1884). It is a hilt type used in traditional Omani/Zanzibari ceremonial functions and only in that staged combat.

The rounded tip on these is a feature used on many German broadsword blades of these types, and is primarily intended for slashing cuts. This is seen on the takouba blades of the Sahara which often had these type German blades.

There has indeed been a great deal of consternation over many years on these here, but I feel I learned a great deal on them through my colleague Peter Hudson, who in fact was in Oman for many years.

My 'not so nice' example acquired over 30 years ago before these became well known in the collecting community. In those days I thought they were fighting swords as well. This one more in the 'ceremonial' grouping.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 29th October 2022 at 06:36 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote