View Single Post
Old 26th March 2008, 06:08 AM   #10
M ELEY

019- Ahhh! The boarding cutlass! Sorry...couldn't resist!
The top one I believe to either be an original American boarding cutlass or one made from an earlier cut-down model. Either way, it's private purchase, probably 1805-40 period. The blade with even pitting (like other sea swords I've seen with salt exposure) and a long straight blade with abrupt curve at end like other American swords seen in Neumann's Swords/Blades of the Amer Revolution. Round disc iron guard tarred/blackened for sea service (rust protection), ribbed grip in imitation of naval issue boarding cutlass of the period. Here's the odd thing...the blade isn't piened. It appears the hilt was made hollow and the tang set into it followed by poured molten brass! It's quite secure, but hadn't seen anything else like it. So-called private purchase swords came in all manner of styles (someone needs to write a book on them!!)
The second cutlass in the classic British M1803 with "Figure of 8" hilt/guard. Ribbed iron grip/guard primed black for rust resistance. Straight blade with block letter "GR" George Rex over crown. Most are cursive lettering, so I think this sword of later manufacture (1810-20). This is similar to Jack Sparrow's sword in the film...great flick, but the timeline for this weapon carried in that film all wrong.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote