View Single Post
Old 11th March 2010, 07:07 AM   #21
kronckew

Açorda à Alentejana

basic recipe:

SERVES 4
Ingredients

* 4 garlic cloves ( i use more)

* 1 teaspoon sea salt (too much for me, i use 1/4 teaspoon)

* 1/2 cup olive oil (less is OK, use at least 4 tablespoons)

* 4 tablespoons or more of fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro), more is good.

* 1 pint boiling water (2 cups)

* 4 slices bread, crusty hard bread, like french, is better.

* 4 eggs (poached)

Directions

1. Mince the garlic and mix with the salt in a soup pan.
2. Add the olive oil and chopped coriander (cilantro) then add the boiled water and stir well. - do not re-boil.
3. Heat a separate pan of water and gently drop in your eggs to poach them.
4. Serve the garlic soup into individual dishes, place a slice of bread on top of each and then gently top with one poached egg per plate. add ground black pepper to season. garnish on top with more cilantro.

variations: bruise the garlic and coriander together in a mortar. poach the eggs, saving the water to use as the soup stock. use chicken stock. add chicken breast pieces or dried cod (dried cod must be rehydrated and otherwise prepared 1st - i never use it) never use chicken AND cod. i sometimes add firm sausage slices (like keilbasa - not sure what the portugese equivalent would be). when in doubt use more coriander. i put the bread in the bowl, then top it with the egg, pour soup over it and garnish with more coriander.

i'm sure fernando will have some more suggestions.

i started drooling last nite when i wrote post no. 18, so i made up some using pickled garlic, preserved coriander in a jar. not nearly as good as fresh. over here fresh coriander is easy to find in quantity as it is used in indian cooking....i feel a shopping trip coming on later today.

note the photo has a knife in it to keep it forum related.

Last edited by kronckew; 11th March 2010 at 07:29 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote