View Single Post
Old 7th August 2018, 12:46 AM   #8
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvieira
Hello Fernando,

Tks for the information, i would check with the magnet but i'am pretty sure it's cast iron and in my opinion i really think it was made in Mozambique.

One interesting thing is the coat of arms, if you notice this coat of arms is not very common, the circular shape can be related with D.Joao VI, i found a similar coat of arms in a canon in the army museum in Lisbon.

Regards,

BV
It is not cast iron. Cast iron has a carbon content by weight of approximately 2%-4%. As such it is very heavy and rather brittle. It can only be cast and ground. It cannot be holed or hammered (even most makers marks and decoration in cast iron are part of the mold). This piece shows clear evidence of forge work having been done for either it's fitting, manufacture, or both. The work also shows no distinct casting seams or evidence of the removal or wearing down of casting seams.

Neither is it wrought iron. As given it's apparent age and condition we would see at least some evidence of surface cleavage revealing fibrous structure. To me this looks to be a low to medium carbon crucible steel. Worked on a forge from stock. Possibly case hardened.

[Double posted in edit somehow. please delete post 8]
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote