View Single Post
Old 6th August 2018, 03:45 PM   #6
bvieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Meanwhile i have gathered further information on halberds of this period.
Important to know whether they are forged or cast; that would define whether they are from the realm of Queen Dona Maria II (XIX century) when of cast iron, or Queen Dona Maria I or Prince Regent Dom Joćo (end XVIII century) when forged.
The distinction between both raw materials would be that, if being cast iron, a magnet hardly (or doesn't even) sticks to it and you may notice the (sand) casting grain; whether if it is forged iron, the magnet sticks perfectly as you can hardly stick it out, with a smooth face and thinner/sharper edges, and of lighter weight.
The less perfect engraving of the coat of arms would mean that this was not a Kings Guard halberd but a Guard of some important personality, like the Governor of Mozambique or one of the Brazilian States. The shape of the blade, when of the Kings Guards, is rather different, with its two opposite "half moons" as shown in previous post; the Royal crest together with the initials of the King or Regent, are finely engraved, and never of cast iron.
On the other hand, you may not discard the possibility that your halberd was made in the overseas.
Hello Fernando,

Tks for the information, i would check with the magnet but i'am pretty sure it's cast iron and in my opinion i really think it was made in Mozambique.

One interesting thing is the coat of arms, if you notice this coat of arms is not very common, the circular shape can be related with D.Joao VI, i found a similar coat of arms in a canon in the army museum in Lisbon.

Regards,

BV
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 6th August 2018 at 07:12 PM.
bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote