View Single Post
Old 19th August 2014, 01:20 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

My comment pointing out a sabre from Zlatoust having a similar tipped and profiled blade which was ceremonial c.1821 was meant to note the presence of that feature there and at this time. I did not mean to imply this example was 'ceremonial', but to offer a comparison in the style.

If I recall correctly this clipped tip style was indeed quite well known in Solingen in the 18th century, and Seifert ("Schwert Degen Sabel",1962) captioned this in a panel of varying sword tip forms as a 'pandour point'.

As has been suggested, the makers in Solingen had known processes such as pattern welding for centuries, but did not largely produce this type of laminated blade typically, as far as I know. I think what is perplexing is the differences between pattern welding, various types of Damascus and wootz, the latter being the focus of many metallurgical experiments in this period (late 18th into 19th). As barely a lay metallurgist I would beg the indulgence of those better versed in this, and appreciate better explanations.

Those crescent moons certainly would offer compelling suggestion of Solingen, and recalling old traditions of multiple use of 'quality' imbuements of early tradition there. Earlier blades often had such marks or makers marks in multiples of three or up to five, presumably increasing the potential imbuement.

I had a deeply curved sabre of about this period c.1800, with distinctly pointed tip, but a profound pipeback, and which I believe was possibly laminated (it was darkly patinated) . This I believed to be British but a German blade.
In the period of 'innovation' when makers were striving for the most effective sword blades, many styles were considered from various cultural considerations, including the kilij, talwar and others. Many early British sabres have a pronounced yelman, and I believe the commanding officer of the 10th Hussars at Waterloo carried a pipeback, yelmaned sabre.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote